This week, we are going to indulge our sweet tooth and browse 5 Christmas desserts around Europe. You still have time to shop around for the ingredients if our ideas sound to good!
- 750g frozen summer fruit (raspberries, blackberries, red and blackcurrants)
- 250g caster sugar
- 9 sheets leaf gelatine
- 75g custard powder
- 1.2l milk
- 1½-2 madeira cakes
- 4 tbsp sherry or cassis
- 300-450ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 crushed amaretti biscuits, to serve
- Put 750g frozen summer fruit in a pan with 200g caster sugar and 1 litre water and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 2 mins, then scoop out 6 tbsp fruit and 150ml juice. Now carry on cooking the fruit in the pan for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, soak 9 sheets leaf gelatine in cold water to soften it. If you have a hand blender, blitz the cooked fruit or mash with a potato masher, then strain through a sieve into a large bowl and push through the pulp so just the skins and seeds are left.
- Squeeze excess water from the gelatine, add to the hot fruit syrup and stir to dissolve. Cool, then chill until on the point of almost setting.
- Make the custard according to pack instructions with 75g custard powder, 1.2l milk and 50g caster sugar to create a really thick custard. Cover the surface with baking paper while it cools a little.
- Pile 1½ – 2 cubed madeira cakes into a trifle bowl, spoon over the reserved juice and berries, then 4 tbsp sherry or cassis.
- Pour over a thick layer of custard, pushing it against the side of the dish to seal in the cake below. Leave to cool and set with a skin – this makes a barrier for the jelly.
- When the custard is cold and set, and the jelly is on the point of setting, spoon the jelly over the custard and chill until ready to complete.
Whip 300 – 450ml double cream with 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tbsp icing sugar until just holding its shape, then spoon round the bowl over the set jelly. Scatter with 2 crushed amaretti biscuits and chill until ready to serve.
Recipe courtesy of https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/155633/ruby-fruit-jelly-trifle